Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Stop the judging...

You know what one of my biggest pet peeves is? When you like something that is popular, and people immediately give you crap for it. Or people judge you and think you're just following the crowd and are not really being yourself. Don't get me wrong, I love originality. Actually, that is the whole reason why I hate when people judge me when they think I'm just following the crowd. I don't like being called unoriginal. I don't like when people think I don't think for myself. That has got to be one of the most insulting notions: not just getting put down for what I like, but also having someone tell me that I'm just a follower, and not my individual self. Excuse me? You are NOT what you like. You are NOT the trends you follow. You are NOT the group of people you hang out with. I think the only thing that constitutes YOU, is the way YOU act. If someone says they are original, and individual, and they like unique bands or dress original, but they ACT disrespectful, and ACT like everyone else in the way they talk, the way they view things, than I am sorry, but YOU are NOT original, or an individual.

I also hate that now, the trend seems to just be: be different. Okay, I don't hate the trend in itself, I agree, be as original, and as much YOU as you can be. But people are trying too hard to be different. Example, someone can ACT and dress all 'hipster' (***I AM NOT CALLING OUT HIPSTERS AND SAYING THEY ARE POSERS. THEY, COLLECTIVELY, ARE NOT. THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE. I COULD HAVE USED ANY LABEL OR GROUP LIKE HIPHOP, PUNK, ETC. ***) to be different, original, and themselves. But if that person also calls out trendy people for dressing trendy (and they LIKE to dress that way), that hipster person is not being orginial or different. Or at least, they're violating they're own rule of being an individual. Because they are basically calling people out for not acting out the TREND they are following: being different.

I'm sorry. It just pisses me off. Also, I think people put you down for liking trendy things because they put you in the same category as actual 'bandwagon'-ers. Example: The Twilight Saga and the obsession with Robert Pattinson. Of course its not the most well-written novel the world has ever seen. Of course the edward/r-patz fans are effing annoying. But do you have to put me down for liking it? I don't have to think they're written well, I just like the story. It doesn't mean I don't have good taste in novels. Of course I think R-Patz is hot. But that doesn't mean I am an obsessive fan. Just because I like something, doesn't mean you can automatically put me in the same category as other people who like the same thing.
Oh, another thing, don't hate r-patz himself for his fan following. He did nothing but decide to become the star of one of the biggest and most obsessively-followed movie franchises in the world. If you didn't notice, he hates fame. He doesn't act like a cocky pretty boy, like a lot of RESPECTED actors. He doesn't ask for such a fan following. Don't hate him. Hate his obsessive fans.

And, the whole Laker-fan thing. I have been raised as a Laker fan. Which is why I cheer them on. I don't look down on opposing teams. I'll comment if ANY team does something wrong. I'll be fair. I don't hate the Celtics. I don't over-glorify Kobe, I understand that he can be way cocky and almost diva like at times. I just think it would be freaking awesome if I met him. I like him and respect him for his basketball skills. I like the Lakers because they are honestly a tight-knit, good, respectable team. I don't hate the Celtics, I hate what they do. I sometimes hate what the Lakers do, but I don't hate them. So--when you see that I am a devoted Laker fan, don't put me into the same category as those Celtics-hating, Kobe-obsessed, irrational, all talk fans who are only following a crowd. I honestly like what I like. And I HATE when people think I'm not being my individual self. Don't judge me for being trendy or following popular things. Don't insult me by suggesting that I don't think for myself.

On a kind of different note:

I also hate when people immediately disrespect you and don't take you seriously at the first sign of fear. I understand that though. Why should you trust someone/ follow someone who doesn't seem to know what they're doing? You would follow a confident person. People always listen if you are confident. Even if you aren't right. I know most of the time thats the best way. Because, if they sound credible, if they sound like they are efficable and worthy and being trusted, of course you would pick them to follow over someone who shows fear. But you know the problem with that? People can be SO easily persuaded by confidence. And immediately disregard someone who is in the right, but shows they are inconfident. People just read things wrong sometimes. They can be so easily influenced.

Hello, Hitler? Was arguably one of the most persuasive leaders in the world. Probably. Because who else but a good leader could convince a large following to hate people for such unreasonable and unjust reasons? Who else but a confident, fearless leader could do as much damage as him? He was one person. One person with big ideas. And big confidence. Thats the most immoral example, but probably the best example. People follow the confidence. People don't always listen to the cause. They don't always pay attention to the logistics of things. What sucks? In a way, this is good. People then are following their feelings, instead of just their brains and logic. But really, do both.

0 comments:

Post a Comment